On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 04:05:26PM +0100, Solene Rapenne wrote:
> Is it working?
ChangeLog lists several fixes for crashes between 1.0 and 1.6, so our
version does not have those.

At leasts for lo(4), capturing only works if writing to a file, e.g. no
matter which options I try and/or which packets I produce on lo0, packit
never prints them:

        $ doas packit -m capture -i lo0
        [producing packets in another xterm, yet nothing is printed]
        ^C
        -| Packet Capture Statistics
|----------------------------------------------

Do the same with `-w dump' and `tcpdump -r dump' will print them.

Injecting IPv6 packets is not supported, fair enough.
But packit also fails to capture any IPv6 packets, e.g.

        $ doas packit -m capture -i trunk0

Shows nothing...  enabling IPv4 and pinging something does make it print
those packets, so at least printing per se works.

I don't consider this working.

> I'm totally fine to remove old network daemons for security concerns
> or ports adding burden like deprecated dependencies, heavy patches
> requirements, runtime or compilation failures.
The very idea behind the new repository is to carry patches to ship
what I wouldn't call updates -- it's life support.

> This program doesn't seem to be in one of those categories.
> If it doesn't add extra work I think we should keep it.
Sure, the path of least resistance is to keep building with "-fcommon".
Or wait for someone to update to the "new version" but even that is not
less work, it merely hides the work inside the repository instead of our
tree.