Chris Bennett writes:

> At the end of August, github will no longer accept passwords.
> Months ago, I created a personal access token (PAT).
> It then asks about a list of actions that are permitted.
> I don't at all understand this list of permissions.
>
> At the time, none of it made any sense to me.
> I couldn't find any instructions in the enormous amount of obtuse
> documentation about this. So I didn't worry about it.
>
> Yesterday, I gave it a try again, getting another PAT.
> I spent a few hours trying to get anything out of about 35 pages of
> documentation that utterly fails to mention how to use it.
> Another set of hours wasted. Ugh.
>
> I then tried the access keys for .ssh home folder.
> This is for using SSH access.
> I got two files: id_ed25519 and id_ed25519.pub
> As per the instructions, I tried with these and they failed to work.
> The troubleshooting pages for these are essentially worthless.
>
> So next I tried the community forums.
> Besides the advice to read the above pages, I found one post saying to
> use the PAT in place of the password. That also failed. It did not fail
> for the user making the post.
>
> Tons of developers are using github, so there must be a simple answer, right?
> Or is github full of users still using passwords for now?
>
> I just put up stuff on github that both I and other users will need to
> access.
>
> I would deeply appreciate someone helping me with this. On or off-list.
>
> FWIW, I'm not willing to use 2FA over my phone. If my phone breaks and I
> don't have the money to buy another one, no access. Text 2FA is not
> secure. I also may go to Guatemala after this date. I will have to buy
> another phone there to get any access. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the
> foot over this or maybe Microsoft is doing it.

I use phone + offline codes as a backup. I have yet to see a site that
doesn't display the raw secret (base32 encoded usually) alongside the QR
code.

You can use any number of tools to produce the OTP: oathtool, gopass,
pass (with pass-otp).

I encrypt the secrets with age and use this script to decrypt / generate
an OTP:
 https://github.com/qbit/dotconf/blob/master/bin/rage

I can't speak to the PAT stuff. Do you have a link where github is
talking about all this github-not-taking-passwords stuff?