On 2021/09/03 15:20, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 06:30:01PM +0000, Klemens Nanni wrote:
>
> > Put it into a `show-checksums' target so the regular `makesum' does not
> > get slowed down on already big/slow ports?
>
> I don't understand this suggestion. makesum only gets run when one updates
> a port. The existing output it fairly useless for verifying distfiles.
> Why are we worried about performance of a seldom-performed step that makes
> verification easier?

I'm with kn on this, updating a port isn't all that rare and this is
really unwieldy on some ports (there isn't really much you can do when
it spits out 300+ lines of hashes, and it's quite a slow operation on
some ports on some machines).

Maybe it could be controlled by a variable? Then it can be set one-off
on the command line if wanted, or in mk.conf if you always want to use it.