On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 07:06:22PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 11:42:08AM -0600, joshua stein wrote:
> > Using CVS and dealing with tarballs is probably pretty
> > ancient-feeling for many outsiders.  I don't know that more
> > documentation is really the problem.
> >
> > I personally tend to ignore most ports@ emails that aren't diffs I
> > can easily view in my e-mail client because it's a hassle to save
> > the attachment, tar -t it to see what its directory structure is,
> > untar it in the proper place, try to build it, then provide feedback
> > by copying parts of the Makefile to an e-mail or doing some other
> > work to produce a diff.
>
> I never understood why new ports have to submitted as a tarball.
> Why not accept new ports as a diff which only creates new files?
> It is trivial to create such a diff.

Give me the magical recipie that does NOT create directories in the actual
CVS repository/is usable without write access to the OpenBSD CVS repo or
a copy !

They DON'T create new files, they create NEW DIRECTORIES.

Unless I'm missing something, CVS makes it NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO DO
without a local repository!