Philip Guenther <guent...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 11:18 PM Mark Kettenis <mark.kette...@xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
> > > From: Greg Steuck <gne...@openbsd.org>
> > > Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:37:13 -0800
> > >
> > > To give a sense of the kind of change required to get the feature I
> > > want, see the patch at the end. The change in DriverUtils.cpp is just to
> > > show that the same function is hiding in there.
> > >
> > > If this looks like a good direction, I can cleanup the code and maybe it
> > > could be shared, though I'm not sure where this would belong. Maybe a
> > > new tiny library of such wrappers to maintain in our tree?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Greg
> > >
> > > P.S. Naturally, once I install this patched cc, ghci is suddenly very
> > > happy.
> >
> > Something like this was rejected upstream.

Upstreams are just jealous of our ABI cranking secret power.

Why can't we carry a diff for this?

It is the way it works here.  There is no single libc.so, there is a historical
chain of them as we move forward time.  One cannot point a singular symbolic
link at a random libc.so.#.# and expect that noone in the downstream won't
start capitalizatin on this to the disadvantage of our developers and users.

There are people with machines which have 20+ libc.so.#.# shared
libraries, and such systems potentially having some binaries which
depend upon a specific ABI reflected in the libc.so.#.# they are directly
linked against.  Having that many is not normal outside of development
machines, but even non-developers who have run sysugprade a few times
may have them, and yet, also also have handcompiled binaries lying around
which depend upon a specific ABI.  And some of those will be built using
toolchains which I will bet money will rapidly shift towards removing
the .#.# suffixed in their link phases, and screw those users.

Then those users will suggest we should never change the ABI AGAIN.

lib*.so symbolic links will hurt us far more than the small gain.