On Jan 04 10:17:08, s...@spacehopper.org wrote:
> That comes from iconv.m4 in gettext-tools. IIRC it only needs to be
> installed and you don't need to do anything special to tell automake to find
> it.

Yes, that was it - thank you.

While here:

$ env AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.71 AUTOMAKE_VERSION=1.16 autoreconf -v
autoreconf-2.71: export WARNINGS=
autoreconf-2.71: Entering directory '.'
autoreconf-2.71: configure.ac: not using Gettext
[...]

Apparently, autoreconf _is_ using gettext (namely, gettext's iconv.m4
to parse th AM_ICONV macro), so what does 'not using Gettext' mean?

        Thanks again,

                Jan