On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 03:31:57PM +0900, SASANO Takayoshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Unless installed in a way to make it hard to pick up accidentally (e.g.
> > a non-standard directory, which has its own problems) I expect the
> > amount of work needed to cope with this in the rest of the ports tree
> > is likely to be quite a lot more than that needed to port a couple of
> > applications from alsa to sndio.
>
> That's important. OpenBSD's standard is sndio, not alsa.
> I expected this alsa port to use temporary, for example;
>
>  - until the application supports sndio
>  - rescue that cannot support sndio
>
> So alsa should not be first choice on OpenBSD.

Having two audio layers with different semantics increases the
probability of subtle audio problems (stuttering, desynchronization,
etc.), which are very time-consuming to fix. Furthermore,
alsa-over-sndio is very unlikely to work in all
program/device/configuration combinations.

I'd suggest adding a sndio backend. The API is designed to make this
process as simple as possible. Let us know if you want to try this
approach, I can help with the code.