On 2023/05/02 17:44, Nam Nguyen wrote:
> 3. new patch for expr syntax errors in configure.
> see:
> https://github.com/vergoh/vnstat/commit/7e3795ebe3e6c31ff09aa967954a51f6d9e19d35
>
> It uses gexpr syntax with the match keyword, so convert it to an
> equivalent form for expr.
>
> according to gexpr(1): "match STRING REGEXP same as STRING : REGEXP"
>
> This only serves to print full install paths in configure output
> (changing vnstat: ${exec_prefix}/bin/vnstat to vnstat:
> /usr/local/bin/vnstat).
>
> The port functions without this configure patch. Should we add or remove
> it for maintainability?

I think I would skip this patch. If the BSD expr syntax from the patch
also works with GNU expr, consider submitting it upstream instead.

> +    * "UseLogging" in ${SYSCONFDIR}/vnstat.conf enables logging.
> +      "UseLogging 1" uses ${LOCALSTATEDIR}/log/vnstat/vnstat.log
> +      "UseLogging 2" uses ${LOCALSTATEDIR}/log/messages

It's not necessarily /var/log/messages depending on config (and syslogd
would be writing to /var not ${LOCALSTATEDIR} in the extremely unlikely
case somebody rebuilt this with a different LOCALSTATEDIR).

I would simply go with this:

        "UseLogging 2" uses syslog.

Rest looks ok with me.