Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Unfortunately there isn't a good source for pre-built U-Boot binaries,
> let alone a source of pre-built U-Boot binaries that didn't somehow
> fuck up EFI support.

I'd like if EFI wasn't the only supported interface, especially since
DTB is prefered over MSFT ACPI when available, but I suppose it's
hard to put that genie back in the bottle.

> So I think the u-boot port *is* useful even if we don't use it to
> create bootable installer images.  But only as long as we don't
> ship a package with broken images.

Agree.

> It is clear that we don't have the manpower and infrastructure to
> test a large enough fraction of the u-boot binaries that our
> current u-boot package produces.  Hence my suggestion to split the
> package (and mostly forget about the older ones where new versions
> of U-Boot don't really add any new functionality).

Also agree. I've been working on something to help with automated
testing for about half a year now, I'll let you know when that's
ready. Meanwhile, freezing firmware is a classic approach that works
until the OS requires new features, e.g. EFI..

But since EFI is already a requirement freezing is a good approach at
the very least for now.

Thanks

//Peter