PrBoom+ development had long moved from SourceForge to Github[1][2],
so the ports include an old version of the source engine.

The development, however has been discontinued in June this year; a
last maintainer version (v2.6.66) has been released; and the Github
repository has been archived:[3]

> Hey people,
>
> I'd like to announce that I just tagged the PrBoom+ 2.6.66 release!
>
> https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/releases/tag/v2.6.66
>
> This is just a maintenance release to make the changes that have
> accumulated over the past 1.5 years available to all users who
> cannot build the sources themselves. Please do not mistake this
> as a sign of active development!
>
> Future development will continue to take place in DSDA-Doom [1].
> Or, for those who like to stay closer to the original code base,
> check out JadingTsunami's PrBoomX [2].
>
> [1] https://github.com/kraflab/dsda-doom
> [2] https://github.com/JadingTsunami/prboomX

Quoting from the DoomWiki[4]:

> The last update of active development was version 2.6.2, released on
> February 11, 2022. On June 20, 2023, maintenance version 2.6.66 was
> released which collects all changes committed after development
> discontinued. Three days later, the GitHub repository was archived.

DSDA-Doom, a source engine based on PrBoom+ which has already been
ported to OpenBSD, is PrBoom+'s spiritual successor.  Debian, for
example, changed prboom-plus into a transitional dummy package to
dsda-doom.[5]

Therefore, since prboom-plus has been discontinued, should we remove
it from the ports?  And recommend people to install dsda-doom instead?

There is also PrBoomX[6], which is closer to the original code base,
although it seems to not have the new features dsda-doom adds on top
of PrBoom+. (I have never tried it, tho).

[1]: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/106866-prboom-2666-jun-20-2023/
[2]: https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus
[3]: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2662145
[4]: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PrBoom%2B