Le dimanche 22 octobre 2023 à 19:33 -0400, Thomas Frohwein a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm reaching out after trying to update barony unsuccessfully. First
> some background: Barony is a commercial game by TurningWheel with
> "open-source" engine development. "open-source" with quotation marks
> because the primary audio backend has been FMOD, which is a closed-
> source proprietary audio library. What makes this one a particularly
> painful port, to me at least, is the fact that updates to the game
> data, as downloaded from the digital storefronts depend on having a
> matching version of the game binaries. Multiple times in the past and
> present there has been a prolonged mismatch, meaning that the version
> accessible on the digital storefront isn't runnable at all with our
> port.
>
> At this moment, this problem is particularly clear as can be seen in
> the github issue from 1 year ago [1]. Since (before) then, the OpenAL
> audio backend has been broken, with a comment [2] indicating that
> upstream is well aware of the broken implementation, but no fix or
> even
> response in sight.
>
> I tested the current downloadable version (4.1) with our 3.3.7 port.
> As
> expected, it was not possible to run it, similar to when we had prior
> version desyncs:
>
> $ barony -datadir=$HOME/games/barony/data/noarch/game
> [19-23-31] Data path is /home/thfr/games/barony/data/noarch/game
> [19-23-31] Output path is /home/thfr/.barony
> Caught segfault at address 0x0
>
> I think the usefulness of the port is very low, given that for a
> significant portion over time the port is not in sync with the
> data that can be obtained, and maintenance seems quite hard especially
> with upstream showing little interest in keeping OpenAL as a viable
> backend at all. That's why I want to raise the question if it may be
> best to retire this port?
>
> [1] https://github.com/TurningWheel/Barony/issues/691
> [2]
> https://github.com/TurningWheel/Barony/blob/master/src/init_game.cpp#L534

That's sad, but I'm ok for removal.

I've lost too much time trying to figure why it wasn't working, and
hunting for the right installer on different stores without success.

It was nice having it, maybe we could import it again in a few years
when they would really stop the development of the game and there will
be no risk of upstream version change.