On Sun, 7 Jan 2024, Rafael Sadowski wrote:

On Sat Jan 06, 2024 at 11:46:42AM -0800, J. Scott Heppler wrote:

Most of the CAD software is Qt Based and I've been running an OpenBSD Dual
Boot system with ArchLinux and LXQt.  Essentially, I tried to build the
lightest, CAD compatible environment possible.  With all of Rafael Sadows'
work, I suspect updating LXQt should be low hanging fruit.

If it is so low hanging, I happy to review a diff ;)

It is "low hanging" because of your hard work on Qt and the KDE components:

https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/wiki/Building-from-source

I'm happy to provide some of the diff's if it is part of serious effort to get the port updated.

My own build uses kwin instead of openbox and the only issue I had was
turning off the animation eye candy without kwindowsystems installed.  It
was actually a ~/config file that I preserved before deleting kwindowsystem.

The older meta-package brought in openbox and gtk dependencies that would be
unused code when using kwin.

What "older meta-package"?

https://openports.pl/cat/meta/lxqt
https://openports.pl/cat/meta/lxqt-extras

Note that the lxqt port x11/lxqt/obconf-qt which pulls in x11/openbox

Kwin should also be more wayland friendly
going forward.

Feel free to hack on it.

I suspect you or someone else will eventually have to in order to update the plasma desktop.

I think it's worth opening a discussion to set the meta-package structure
and get developers behind the project.

I have no clue what kind of discussion you want to start and what are
you talking about. Could you be more specific?

I'm not interested in spending days
generating patches only to have them ignored for months and go stale.

Kwin should also be more wayland friendly
going forward.

Feel free to hack on it.
I suspect you or someone else will eventually have to in order to update the
plasma desktop.

I think it's worth opening a discussion to set the meta-package structure
and get developers behind the project.

I have no clue what kind of discussion you want to start and what are
you talking about. Could you be more specific?
I'm refering to this thread: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=168257922330966&w=2 It was obviously alot of work that sat long enough for the patch to no longer cleanly apply.

Last bit of backgroud, LXQt can use many different window managers:
 https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/lxqt
"dep: xfwm4
window manager of the Xfce project
or x-window-manager
virtual package provided by [show 51 providing packages]"

In Debian derivatives, the meta package will install xfwm4 unless one of the 51 alternatives has been previously installed. I'm not aware that OpenBSD's port infrastructure would do the same.

So I'm proposing removing lxqt-obconf in openbsd and adding text in the pkg-readme about the need to add kwin or xfwm4 or openbox.... and how to manually configure if the first run autoconfiguration fails.

"[jsh@PooBear lxqt]$ pwd && cat session.conf
/home/jsh/.config/lxqt
[General]
__userfile__=true
leave_confirmation=false
window_manager=kwin_x11

[Environment]
GTK_CSD=0
GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0"

If it can come together, I'll contribute some of the updates.
---

J. Scott Heppler

--
J. Scott Heppler

Penguin Innovations

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may
contain legally privileged and confidential information intended
solely for the use of the intended recipients. If you are not an
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this message in error and any review, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or other unauthorized use of this email
and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete the message and any attachments from your system.