I want to discuss Bugdom and Bugdom2 along with Nanosaur II, another
Pangea game.  Omar Polo ported Nanosaur2 last month,
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=167180883506465&w=2

I am able to play all 3 games on amd64.  I have not tried the games
on OpenBSD/macppc.  (The games are from PowerPC Mac OS, but they need
3d acceleration, which is missing in OpenBSD on most macppc models.)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:20:10 -0600
izder456 <izder...@disroot.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:56:11 -0500
> Thomas Frohwein <tfrohw...@fastmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 1. The game is licensed CC-BY-NC-SA. CC license is generally *not*
> >    recommended for software (see [1])....
> > [1] https://creativecommons.org/faq/
>
> I would also like to hear other sides with this. I presume it would be
> up to Iliyas Jorio and/or Pangea Soft.

The CC BY-NC-SA is strange, but (in my opinion) does give enough
permission for PERMIT_PACKAGE = Yes

Some files have different licenses (WRKSRC/extern/Pomme/LICENSE.md in
all 3 games), but the licenses look compatible to me.  One of them is
the GNU LGPL.

CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Section 3(b) "ShareAlike" says in item 3,

| You may not offer or impose any additional or different terms or
| conditions on, or apply any Effective Technological Measures to,
| Adapted Material that restrict exercise of the rights granted under
| the Adapter's License You apply.

The different terms in the GNU LGPL only restrict the files under the
LGPL.  They don't "restrict the exercise of the rights granted under"
the CC BY-NC-SA (which is the Adapter's License).

Our license comment is,

# CC-BY-NC SA 4.0
PERMIT_PACKAGE = Yes

Maybe it should be this?

# game: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0; extern/Pomme: MIT, LGPLv2.1, BSD, Boost
PERMIT_PACKAGE = Yes

The hyphens in CC BY-NC-SA match the spelling on
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/deed.en

> > - Regarding the script files/bugdom:
> >   `cd /usr/local/lib/Bugdom` means that it won't be able to save any
> >   core files if run with a normal user (which it should!). Not sure if
> >   there is a better way; might have to check with upstream if they can
> >   set things up to run the game from a separate location.
>
> I am no scripting savant, but wouldn't wrapping it in `()` be enough?
> Anyways, it seems to be hard-coded to be ran from the same directory as
> /Data. It's a bummer cos the other options for packaging aren't
> applicable on OpenBSD, Linux AppImages, MacOS appbundles, and exe
> bundles.

Wrapping it in () didn't help.  Omar Polo's games/nanosaur2 fixed core
dumps by patching the game to load from ${TRUEPREFIX}/share/nanosaur2;
see its patches/patch-Source_Boot_cpp and pre-configure target.
I would like bugdom and bugdom2 to do the same.

I suggest to install /usr/local/bin/Bugdom with uppercase B, so that
we can install ${WRKSRC}/packaging/io.jor.bugdom.desktop without
patching its Exec=Bugdom line.  The package name bugdom,
${PREFIX}/share/bugdom, and ${PREFIX}/share/doc/bugdom can probably
have lowercase b.  Same with Bugdom2, bugdom2.

I see no reason to use SUBST_CMD for io.jor.bugdom*.desktop, as I see
nothing to substitute.  Just use INSTALL_DATA.

--gkoehler