On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:44:05PM -0700, Ryan Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:10:55PM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 07:43:05PM -0700, Mike Swanson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've noticed ZSNES hasn't been updated in years, but I don't really know
> > > how
> > > to update it myself (I've tried, but it always fails at compiling at
> > > various
> > > ports; knowing emulator authors, it's probably filled with Windows and/or
> > > Linux-specific code anyway).  I'm CCing this to both the official
> > > maintainer
> > > and the mailing list because I don't know if he's even still around
> > > anymore.
> > > Usual improvements are expected, increased compatibility, more features,
> > > etc
> >
> > Here you go.
> >
> > Sound is quite choppy on my notebook, but it's only a 700Mhz PIII.
>
> sound hasn't worked properly since the big audio improvements made about a
> month ago including the sdl patch to improve audio, for me. While the audio
> improvements did cure a few applications/games suffering from sound latency
> issues, zsnes has worsened. I shall try the libao option and see if that
> helps.
>
> Unfortunately I completely forgot about this until I saw this email saying
> sound is choppy. this was the same on both the ports ver and a generic
> compiled
> tarball of 1.51 i tested to see if it would help awhile back, currently
> running
> -current from Sept 13th GENERIC.  regards,
>
> -ryan

hmmm, "Street Fighter II" is working nicely for me with a default
install of zsnes.  CPU is 1.84 GHz Athlon, soundcard is SoundBlaster
Live!.

there is some strangeness in the zsnes audio code.  it intentionally
uses a different audio buffer size than SDL reports.  why, I don't
know.  this could potentially be a problem with certain hardware.

I also see zsnes using almost all available CPU.

what CPU and soundcard are you using?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]