I tried implementing a patch based on this:

https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/librewolf/-/blob/main/PKGBUILD

look how they handle translations there. i didn't copy the whole thing though. what i did was:

build the langpacks in post-build, then copy the "localizations" directory from WRKBUILD (i think that was the variable name), where dist/bin/ is... i deleted the patch.

anyway, librewolf has some information about building language packs for translation.

i now know that there is a way to make UI translations work, i just haven't quite cracked it on openbsd ports yet.

i'll leave the port english-only for now. you can still set the page language quite easily, to read web pages in other languages. i won't be working on it for a while, besides regular revision updates when new librewolf releases come out.

i have my other patch that i sent earlier, enabling the speed optimisations. for reasons mentioned in that thread, i won't have it merged until the next revision update, and i'll have it merged in the same patch as the next release update for librewolf. the current version as i write this is the latest version upstream.


Am 31.08.26 um 09:49 schrieb Leah Rowe:
Hi everyone,

JustĀ  an update regarding the previously reported issue with translations in the LibreWolf menu.

I experimentally enabled FireFox language packs in my port, by adding "locale" to the list of allowed extensions in the policy file. This worked, allowing me to install a German language pack in LibreWolf, and the menus changed to German e.g. in about:preferences

When restarting the browser, I would briefly see German in the search bar, but then it and the rest of the interface would quickly switch back to English automatically and I'd have to install the language pack again.

I'm not sure what LibreWolf itself does, upstream, for translating the user interface. Someone here complained the other day that they could only get English in the interface. It should be noted that it's still possible to change the requested page language, and this works perfectly without being reset (I was able to get German internet this way).

LibreWolf normally blocks language packs because the mozilla ones lack certain strings that they add to the menus, and apparently that can cause issues, though I didn't test this fully. I see that LibreWolf *does* provide what seem to be label translations for the UI, in lw/l10n on the source tarball, and our mozconfig does seem to point to it correctly, so I'm somewhat stumped. I don't know reliably how to translate the user interface in LibreWolf on OpenBSD.

If someone else has a clue, I'd be happy to try suggestions. My native language is actually English, but I would like to be able to use my preferred language reliably in LibreWolf :)

I've looked at LibreWolf ports in various other systems e.g. arch pkgbuild, freebsd, and I don't see anything obviously different in the way they handle localisation. Any ideas?

--
Company director, Minifree Ltd
Registered in England, No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK

Attachment: OpenPGP_0x5C654067D383B1FF.asc
Description: OpenPGP public key

Attachment: OpenPGP_signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

Reply via email to