On Sun, 13 Sep 2026 10:10:09 -0500
"Robert B. Carleton" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Sep 2026 12:55:47 -0500
> "Robert B. Carleton" <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> > I'm trying to setup S/MIME on claws-mail under Xfce on the OpenBSD
> > 7.9 release. Though Xfce is starting gpg-agent when I login via
> > xenodm, the "Use gpg-agent to manage passwords" is grayed out in the
> > "Passphrase" portion of the GPG plugin preferences. The "Store
> > passphrase in memory" is not checked. The GnuPG executable path set
> > to /usr/local/bin/gpg. The PGP/Core, and S/MIME plugins are loaded.
> > 
> > The side effect of this is that I can not use pinentry-qt5 to
> > provide a GUI for entering passphrases. It doesn't totally break
> > things. I can still run claws-mail from the command line to use the
> > curses pinentry dialogs. That works.
> > 
> > Does anyone have suggestions for my configuration, or perhaps a way
> > to get more descriptive errors?
> > 
> > TIA,
> > 
> >                     --Bruce
> >   
> 
> I have this partially figured out. The GPG_AGENT_INFO variable isn't
> being set in the environment invoking claws-mail. I'm trying to figure
> out a good place to introduce it.
> 

I found with putting the GPG_AGENT_INFO in my .xsession that the
variable is getting scrubbed by startxfce4 somehow:

$ cat .xsession
export GPG_AGENT_INFO="${HOME}/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent"

/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
$ echo ${GPG_AGENT_INFO}

$

Is there a better place to put the variable definition for
GPG_AGENT_INFO when using Xfce? I use the OpenBSD 7.9 release ksh
shell.

Thanks,

                        --Bruce

Reply via email to