Ian McWilliam wrote:
> Can anybody explain why is it acceptable to modify a "standard" for
> "ports" but not not for "base"?

I think "Standards" is a bogus argument here.  That's not what
this is about.

Try this way of looking at it:
The author of xpdf wants DRM in the source code.  That is his right.
Many users find it more useful without it.  That is their right.
We distribute patches to build a version that disables the DRM that
will never be incorporated into the main package. That is our right.
The author distributes it the way they wish to, and OpenBSD
distributes a patch.  Everyone's rights are respected.

Author has freedom, users have freedom, OpenBSD has freedom.

The authors of OpenSSH don't want to hide the version.  That is
their right.
A few users think there is benefit in hiding the version.  That
is their right (you have the right to remain wrong...)
Someone distributes a patch that will never go into the OpenSSH
code.  That is their right.
The authors distribute the code they wish to and users can
distribute a patch.  Everyone's rights are respected.

Authors have freedom, users have freedom, patchers have freedom.

You see a difference.  I see remarkable parallels.

This is real freedom in action.

What you seem to think is that you get a vote or claim on someone
else's work.  No, you don't.  Not here, at least.
  OpenBSD decides what is in OpenBSD,
  The xpdf authors get to decide what is in xpdf,
  The OpenSSH authors get to decide what is in OpenSSH.
And that is how it should be, and that is how it is.

YOU get to decide what you wish to use, too.
You may use OpenBSD or not.
You may use xpdf in patched or unpatched form.
You may or may not respect the wishes of the author of documents
you look at with xpdf.

wow, you got freedom too.  Amazing how this works. :)

Think about this:
I suspect most developers and users of OpenBSD think the DRM
"features" of xpdf are stupid and annoying..but I bet virtually
all of them would fight for the RIGHT of the author to decide to
be stupid and annoying, and put whatever they darned well please
into their own code.

There is a difference between wishing and attempting to persuade
someone to do something differently, and demanding or expecting
them to do something differently.  A very large difference, which
is often missed by many.

  I WISH xpdf didn't have silly DRM stuff in it.
  I WISH people didn't distribute silly patches for OpenSSH
  I am glad they can.

Nick.
--
By reading this note, you agree to not think of a big red bird
with fuzzy pink feet.