Brad Walker writes:

> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 21:42 +0200, Eric Faurot wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:35:57 -0700
>> "Matthew Dempsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Is anyone working on an Emacs 22 port?  I thought I'd check before
>> > making a redundant effort.
>>
>> This is a work-in-progress port of emacs 22.2 based on a post
>> by Fulvio Ciriaco. Contributions are most welcome.
>
> I've attached a patch for Emacs 22 diffed against Eric's tarball[...].
> This patch incorporates Matthew Dempsky's gtk FLAVOR patch and plist
> fixes[...] as well as an athena flavor. I also attempted to resolve
> the problems Eric mentioned. [...]

Here's yet another proposal.

* The port attached to the end of this message is named "emacs" instead
  of "emacs22".  It conflicts with "emacs21".  I think that there's no
  need to support different Emacs versions in the ports tree.  Naming
  the port "emacs" eases package updates to newer Emacs versions.

* The port isn't split into -main and -el.  I don't see the point.
  Users who are low on disk space can use mg oder jmacs, i.e. joe.

* By default Emacs is built against GTK+ since GTK+ will be the default
  toolkit in Emacs 23.  There are two flavors:

  * no_x11: Don't build against any widget set.  Don't build against
    image libraries like jpeg and png which arent't of much use on a
    text console.  BTW, does anybody actually use the no_x11 flavor?

  * athena: Build against the Athena widget set instead of GTK+.  This
    flavor will provide minimal GUI support.  For example, when Emacs 23
    is released the default flavor will support librsvg, dbus and all
    the other bells and whistles that the upstream developers are
    currently adding to Emacs.  The athena flavor, on the other hand,
    will be kept small.

What do you think?

Tested on i386 only.  The GCCARCH variable at the end of the makefile
needs to be checked on other platforms.