On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:30:39PM -0400, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:38 PM, frantisek holop <min...@obiit.org> wrote:
> > anyway, i am fine with a "monolithic" texlive package, i am
> > sure it was difficult to put it together as it is (good
> > job Edd).
>
> I have to admit first that due to the nature of my work I have to use
> LaTeX and plain TeX. I know that ConTeXt is undergoing
> rapid development and that if you ara involved in that process you might
> have a need to use something on the cutting edge.
>
> I have couple questions for you.
>
> 1. Is there are relatively painless way to updated just certain fonts
> and components of TeXLive as it is the case with MikTeX. I know that
> the answer to that question used to be NO but that was before.

There is an updater program for TeX Live, "tlmgr", but I strip it
from the OpenBSD installs. The problem is that if you update stuff
the checksums of the files change, meaning that the package will no
longer uninstall correctly.

What you can do is install texlive and then install your own texmf in
your home directory which takes precidence over the stock texmf.

I don't know the answers to your other questions, but you could try
building texlive from source in /opt and using tlmgr to install just the
parts you want. The stock install for texlive is quite painless. It only
becomes difficult when you force it to link libraries in our ports tree
instead of the libraries distributed along with TL (look at our
CONFIGURE_ARGS).

Hope that helps.

--
Best Regards