hmm, on Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:16:37AM -0600, Chris Bennett said that
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this total jump up each each
> time a new needed set of  packages is actually verified during the
> scanning process?
> If so, perhaps making these upward steps (only) "more chatty" would
> add clarity? Something like "5 extra packages added to total"

something like dpkg?
"n packages installed, m packages updated", etc.

i don't know, for some reason i have never cared
abut "the exact number of packages" on my systems.
or how much is there "to go".

these numbers are just not interesting, rather
anecdotical.  what does it really tell me that i have
196 packages?  and that only 105 were updated?

as the packages have different dependencies and
size and files, it is a kind of useless metric..

> >i also think that the pkg tools are becoming somewhat chatty
> >for no particular reason..  ("Looking for packages: ok" -- what's
> >that for really? if there's a problem tell me, but if everything
> >is ok, why tell me?  this is not linux, is it?)
> >
> >when i am doing an update (full or partial), it kind of doesn't
> >matter how many packages are there "to go", esp if it's an estimate
> >at best..  i think all the chat should go to -v (verbose).
> I like to see a little something to know all is proceeding ok
> /usr/sbin/pkg_add -ui -F update -F updatedepends >/dev/null 2>&1 &

i didnt say i dont want to see any output..
the previous output was quite enough for facts.

-f
--
courage is fear that has said its prayers.