On Oct 14 10:10:22, frantisek holop wrote:
> hmm, on Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 04:40:23PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber said that
> > frantisek holop <min...@obiit.org> wrote:
> >
> > > for the last week or so, snapshot packages
> > > have "strange" dates alternating with a one day difference:
> >
> > > ftp://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386/
> >
> > I now use "scp -p" instead of plain "scp" to upload the packages.
> > This gives you an idea when the build was actually started (timestamp
> > of the oldest package) as opposed to when I started the upload.  It
> > doesn't really matter either way.
>
> ah, right.  (my) problem with this is, that the upload dates
> were the only indication basically if a mirror was finished
> copying all the files..  (as unfinished mirrors were another
> source of confusing update errors)

So, until now, you have always checked the 5000+ datetime strings
before an update, to be safe, right?

> > > this is causing all kinds of strange dependency errors
> > > when i try to pkg_add -u.
> >
> > No.
>
> my bad then.  but i am running an oct 6 snapshot, and after saying
> pkg_add -ui i get a lot of "Can't install <pkg> because of libraries"
> "bad major".  (for example: aalib, cairo, pango, dbus, ...)

Snapshots and snapshot packages move forward all the time, unlike
your installed system.  If you have a system that provides
libcurses.so.10.0, and (a new version of) a package comes out that
requires libcurses.so.11.0, there is simply no way to upgrade the
package, because your system does not meet the package's requirements.
That's exactly what pkg_add is telling you.

Replace "package" with cairo, and "libcurses" with the (undisclosed)
library you have (possibly some old X libs?).

Also, next time, quote your exact command and the exact response.