On Fri, 01 Jul 2011, Jan Stary wrote:

> > What exactly does the "0.0" mean in SHARED_LIBS?
> >
> > SHARED_LIBS +=  opencore-amrnb 0.0
> > SHARED_LIBS +=  opencore-amrwb 0.0
> >
> > Running 'make plist' suggests this; but if I build the software natively
> > (outside of the ports), the libraries are built and installed as *.so.0.2
> > Why is the above better than
> >
> > SHARED_LIBS +=  opencore-amrnb 0.2
> > SHARED_LIBS +=  opencore-amrwb 0.2
>
> In fact, pobj/opencore-amr-0.1.2/build-i386/shared_libs.log says:

> SHARED_LIBS +=  opencore-amrnb       0.2      # .0.2
> SHARED_LIBS +=  opencore-amrwb       0.2      # .0.2
>
> So that's what I have put in.

man bsd.port.mk

     SHARED_LIBS   List of shared libraries that the port may build, as a list
                   of the form `libname' `libversion'.  Used to set variables
                   of the form LIBlibname_VERSION that are then used for
                   substitution by pkg_create(1).  The porter is responsible
                   for making sure the port uses those version numbers when
                   shared libraries are built.

                   The intent is that the OpenBSD ports system must have
                   control over shared library versions because of global
                   changes that may require bumping the major version of every
                   shared library in the system, or simply because the third
                   party programmers do not understand the rules for shared
                   library versions, thus breaking the update mechanism.  For
                   that reason it is advised to set libversion to 0.0 when
                   first importing a port.