On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 02:44:42PM -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 02:31 PM, Marc Espie wrote:

> >>That's not really the solution I'm after.  The project itself does
> >>not have a release engineer and I'm not looking to become one for
> >>it.  I am just trying to put together a local port that some other
> >>coworkers can use to build packages of a specific checkout from the
> >>svn repo.
> >
> >Don't use pre-fetch, it's heavily deprecated. In fact, don't override
> >any of pre-fetch, do-fetch, post-fetch.
>
> Noted.  Please remove information about overriding *-fetch from the
> bsd.port.mk man page.

Read more closely:
               every configuration.  Use of {pre,do,post}-fetch hooks is
               strongly discouraged, and will probably be removed in the
               near future, as this makes mirroring of distfiles very
               complicated.  See CHECKSUMFILES, CDROM_SITE, DISTDIR,

> OK.  But this is probably something worth thinking about for future
> development.  I've noticed many upstream projects eliminating
> tarballs in favor of telling you a git tag to use 'git archive
> --format=tar' on.  While it may not be something anyone cares about
> for the main ports tree, having the functionality there for people
> who keep things in /usr/ports/mystuff would probably be useful.

Nope. Not good. checksums. How do you prevent people tampering from
upstream and introduce trojan horses ?

It's not like this never happened. We caught at least 2 such issues
thanks to the checksums in distinfo.