python 3 was moved to "lang/python" from lang/python3 in ports.
That probably is a good idea.

Unfortunately, and to my *great* inconvenience, lang/python3 was
removed from ports and packages before 5.1 will be released.
I had begun developing an application using python3 and had
to reinstall. It was unsettling to find that I couldn't get
the package.

The old ports/python3 won't compile and install due to a problem
with libreadline.
I would be glad to provide the context to anyone who is interested.
Several compiles fail (non-fatally, unfortunately) and finally
ldd: libreadline.a is not an ELF executable
is the fatal problem when trying to link with c++ during make install.
I understand that this would be an extremely low priority item since
presumably when 5.1 is released python 3 will be available again.

I've tried patching all sorts of files, symbolic links in /usr/include,
retrofitting .mk files, and so forth and so on from the CURRENT ports
and from the 5.0 ports to no avail.

Yes, I know this is crossposted. I'm not subscribed to ports@
I'll look at the archived ports@ every day for a week or three.

I searched everywhere I could get to for a reason why the previously
apparently working port and package were removed before the new one
was available. If there is a reason why the 5.0 version is unusable
could someone please inform me. Otherwise, if anyone has a working
python3 amd64 install package for 5.0, would you
please let me know and put it someplace I can download it?

Thanks!