Okay, it's gory.
I'm going to see if we can get it fixed.

Basically:
- gnome3 wants vte3
- vte2 and vte3 can be installed simultaneously
- BUT vte3 has pkgpath/conflict markers that say it's okay to update it from
vte2.

so, when vte gets updated, gnome3 forces it on the vte2->vte3 "update" path,
then later py-vte complains.

Removing those markers would allow gnome3 to get vte3 and keep vte2 around
at the same time (the conflict should be enough to get an update set like
the following: oldvte2 -> newvte2 + vte3)

In the meantime, after the update failure. run
pkg_add -ui vte

since gnome3 is not implicated, this will update vte2.

and since that one doesn't conflict with vte3, you can then run pkg_add -ui
and it should finish properly...

(apart from the packages that no longer exist, of course...)