On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:18:29PM +0000, Nigel Taylor wrote:

> out-of-date is not really used any more, don't know why your using it.

mainly because it is a valuable tool to check is the installed packages are in
sync with /usr/ports.
but maybe I don't manage my updates in a accurate manner...

> pkg_add -ui should update any out of date installed packages from PKG_PATH.

for "officials" and "distributed" packages, I'm agreed (except some normal
delays in official build).
but I use some packages that are not packaged (audio/timidity or cad/qcad for
example) or personnals packages (the dependencies are better managed by pkg_add
than by me... :-))

> The packages in PKG_PATH should be built on a clean system with no
> packages installed, or present in PKG_PATH. Because nothing is installed
> or present out-of-date can't be used.
>
> If your build and running systems are combined then look at dpb with the
> -R, -u, -U options. See comment some packages only build on a clean
> system. dpb -R works by looking at out of date packages in PKG_PATH not
> those installed, out-of-date will not find out of date packages in
> PKG_PATH which haven't been installed, leaving broken packages in
> PKG_PATH if out-of-date is used as a rebuilding tool.

I keep /usr/ports in sync daily, as it is more accurate than rely on pkg_add
for be informed about update: packages are not rebuild daily for all archs. It
is not a critic, I understand that all archs couldn't be rebuild every time
(build time + limited ressources).

out-of-date is only use to remind me about unsync between ports & installed
packages, and so known potential flaw in running system. So as I only want the
installed packages to be monitored, I think use out-of-date for that is ok.

and after, if I really need a package that is not already packaged, I ran:
# dpb -R -u -q pathlist
# pkg_add -aui package

Thanks.
--