I noticed that ports are always built even with FETCH_PACKAGES=Yes
and matching binary packages on the mirror.

Starting from 'make depends' I traced the problem down to a pkg_add bug.
Here's recipe that shows where it fails:

$ pwd
/usr/ports/net/miniupnp/miniupnpc
$ pkg_add -m -I -n -q -D installed -D downgrade miniupnpc-1.9.tgz
/usr/ports/packages/amd64/cache//miniupnpc-1.9.tgz
miniupnpc-1.9: ok
Look in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes for extra documentation.
Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at
/usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/Dependencies.pm line 387.
$ echo $?
22

The exit code causes the Makefile logic to believe fetching the package
failed and it builds the port even though the package is already installed.

The line perl complains about is:
                for my $dep (@{$package->dependency_info->{depend}}) {

It looks like $package->dependency_info is undefined here.

Can someone help?