When I say I started with a clean install, I mean that I even completely
removed my entire user home directory and allowed the system to simply
recreate -everything-  This is not a migration from 4.11 to 4.13, this is a
fresh install.

I installed a snapshot from 18 Aug and pkg_add kde4 -- one that was
complete, I made the changes /etc/login.conf as well as /etc/sysctl.conf

However, once the initial .kde4 directory has been created, I then need to
finish setting up the first bottom panel manually. Once that is done,
everything works, provided I've set ulimits high enough.

Chuck Burns