> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:33:33PM +0300, Vadim Zhukov wrote:
>> (some history)
>>
>> During this summer the Jannis Tsaraias worked on the pkg_module, an
>> automated port creation framework as a GSoC Project. The project
>> succeeded, and Jannis stayed to maintain the code and accept patches
>> from interested parties:
>>
>> https://github.com/diethyl/pkg_module
>>
>> (back to nowadays)
>>
>> A few months went, and we're still at the same place. pkg_module
>> proved to work by a few people already, and should be a nice addition
>> for 5.9. So I want to move on and finally import it. I'm attaching the
>> archive to be extracted under /usr/ports/infrastructure. After that
>> just type something like "pkg_module ruby dbf" and see how easy it
>> goes. :)
>>
>> Personally I use it about once a month, saving a hour or two of manual
>> work. In particular, I'm trying to reuse this code to make maintaining
>> KDE Frameworks easier: doing things manually, I have to re-start
>> porting a new version before finishing a previous one...
>>
>> Any comments/suggestions/objections/okays?
>
> That sounds like a really nice addition, the 'pkg_module' naming is a
> bit weird but whatever..
>
> You could have mentioned that (as far i can gather from quickly looking
> at the code) it supports Ruby (forge? gems?), PyPI and CPAN as sources...
> And that it generates a _port_ (which means to keep local or to submit
> for import in cvs?), not a package - hence the confusing naming :)

Yep. I'm biased since I (as well as afresh1@) was involved in the
project as a mentor, and thus I missed those - meaningful! - points.
Thank you for pointing them out!

> But all this can be gathered from the manpage :)
>
> The only missing thing.. i dont see regress tests, nor a list of
> ports/packages tested working/non-working with it, to get an idea of its
> coverage of the corresponding 'native repositories'...

The list of "successfully tested on" is rather large, thus it was
dropped at some point in the past. :) And the SPECIALS file in repo
lists known items having problems (i.e., requiring manual porting
instead).

--
  WBR,
  Vadim Zhukov