On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 12:56:22PM -0400, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several maven-based projects that I'd like to create ports for, but
> our build process makes that challenging.
>
> Maven (for those who don't know) likes to download additional files as it
> compiles which is a non-starter for our build process.  A solution that I
> have found to work around this is to run maven once, let it cache the files
> locally, turn them into a tarball which I then place in my "files"
> directory and make the real port run maven in offline mode from the cached
> files in the tarball.
>
> This process works, but it sure seems awkward.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make this better?

Packaging java, ruby, node.js apps which many dependencies  is nightmare
for everybody. IIRC Fedora must have for each dependency separate package
but I have heard recently that inside Fedora/RHEL thins are changing
and some projects are permitted to have one big package including all
its deps. The problem is - who and how will be those dependencies
maintained?

It doesn't answer your question. But it seems that if an app can be
installed via its own framework (npm, cabal, pip), some devs prefer
not to package it - at least I have the feeling about haskell, node.js
ports.

j.