Hi, everyone.

I was recently discussing this with edd@, who suggested that I pull in
ports@ and Marc.

Syncthing is a daemon that lets you sync data between devices. By
default, both metadata and user data are stored in /var/syncthing.
However, when you update or delete the package, pkg_add tells you the
following:

> --- -syncthing-0.13.9 -------------------
> You should also run rm -rf /var/syncthing/{.,}*

For many or most users, this will delete their data and their device
associations.

Here are the relevant PLIST lines:

> @sample ${VARBASE}/syncthing/
> @extraunexec rm -rf ${VARBASE}/syncthing/{.,}*

The porting docs describe @extraunexec as being for "system files
created by the package at runtime". While this is a somewhat accurate
description of /var/syncthing, I don't think that @extraunexec is
intended for user data or for program data that is effectively long-term
config data (e.g. Syncthing associations between devices).

I couldn't find any indication in the Syncthing docs that any metadata
needs to be deleted when updating. However, I could have easily missed
something.

Input appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Mike