On 2016/09/26 23:51, frantisek holop wrote:
> Laurence Tratt, 26 Sep 2016 22:08:
> > Of course, vim has enough FLAVORs that no reasonable number of combinations
> > will keep everyone happy. But given the increasing number of languages that
> > extensions are written in (I use extensions in Lua and Python myself, so I
> > can no longer use a binary package), I wonder if we should simply add lua
> > into what has already more-or-less-become the "all the languages binary
> > package"? So something like:
>
> i proposed the same thing long time ago.
>
> the whole port is a bit strange with the forced
> GUI selection.  even servers have been installing
> xbase for a long time, so why not get rid of no_x11,
> make gtk2 the default GUI and make one kitchen
> sink version with all the languages?
> (except the python/python3)
>
> would there be interest in this?

I use no_x11 because this is something I don't want to break any more
than necessary, and that reduces risk of things getting messed up with
library updates.

I originally used no_x11 because historically X used to be built
separately from base snapshots and it was quite likely to hit things
being out-of-sync. That's not much of a problem now that the snapshot
process changed, but there have also sometimes been problems with glib
updates in the past leaving packages that use it not working, so I still
choose no_x11.

I wouldn't see a problem with losing athena and motif flavours though.

> in any case adding lua makes sense to me

Generally yes. But I'd like to know what pkg_add -u says when you
have one of the current kitchen-sink packages installed and you
point it at a PKG_PATH which has a choice of the proposed new set
of packages. If it offers a choice of which to install I think
that would be reasonable, but if it fails to update then we
probably want some @pkgpath magic.