The downside is that then everybody gets asked which curl package to use when it gets installed as a dependency.. and I bet many people will choose "full" when they don't need it (and unnecessarily pull in a bunch of other libraries to the address space, and maybe also submit ports with a bunch of junk WANTLIBs). At least using "gssapi" means people are slightly less likely to choose it!