On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:07:11AM +0100, Landry Breuil wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 09:36:53PM +0100, Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This bumps the version of cgit from 1.0 to 1.1.
>
> Thanks for this, i'll try to test it soonish.
>
> > Changed in the patch below:
> > - pass the option NO_GETTEXT=1 to git to disable gettext support.
>
> Any particular reason ?
>

>From git INSTALL:

    Set NO_GETTEXT to disable localization support and make Git only
    use English. Under autoconf the configure script will do this
    automatically if it can't find libintl on the system.

Gettext support does not work (segmentation fault) and was also disabled by
default on cgit 1.0 I think. I think multi-language support is also not
desired by OpenBSD, but I'm not sure actually. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> > - add a patch patches/patch-setup_c to not open /dev/null in the chroot.
> >   alternatively the user can not use this patch and make the device node in
> >   $chroot/dev/null and disable the "nodev" mountpoint option if needed.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit more ? Push this upstream ? I guess upstream has
> a reason to open dev/null....

I don't think the code is needed by the codepaths cgit executes. It was changed
after git 1.8.3 in the following commit:
https://github.com/git/git/commit/57f5d52a942e8bbfa82e2741faf050de0d6b3eb3

In my opinion it is nicer to not have device files and having to disable "nodev"
for a chroot. Cgit runs in a chroot for OpenBSD httpd and nginx. Without this
patch and without /dev/null cgit will error out with:
"fatal: open /dev/null or dup failed: No such file or directory".

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo