On 2017/11/14 18:31, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12 2017, sunil+po...@nimmagadda.net wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Sunil,
>
> > This diff replaces a system(3) call to insert an address into a pf
> > table with ioctl(DIOCADDADDRS) which allows removal of "proc exec"
> > from the pledge promises.
>
> Interesting.  So DIOCRADDADDRS isn't restricted by pledge(2)?

It looks like it would be restricted, it's not on the list of permitted
ioctls in the PLEDGE_PF section of kern_pledge.c. OTOH, DIOCRSETADDRS
and DIOCRCLRADDRS *are* permitted, so I don't think it would be
unreasonable to permit the remaining DIOCRxxxADDRS.

One reason for a port to call out to pfctl for PF-related operations
is to insulate it from kernel ABI changes (pfctl is more likely to be
up to date than packages after an update). I suppose at least for
sshlockout, it would fail open rather than closed if there were a
problem like this, so not likely to be a huge annoyance.