On Wed, Nov 22 2017, "Kirill Bychkov" <ki...@linklevel.net> wrote:
> On Tue, November 21, 2017 19:19, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 21 2017, Sol?ne Rapenne <sol...@perso.pw> wrote:
>>> Building games/tome4 on powerpc (macppc kernel) fail
>>>
>>> [-----]
>>> ==== Building luajit2 (release) ====
>>> Creating ../obj/Release/luajit2
>>> mkdir -p ../obj/Release/luajit2
>>> Running pre-build commands
>>> [---cut----]
>>> In file included from ../src/luajit2/src/lj_obj.h:14:0,
>>>                  from ../src/luajit2/src/lj_dispatch.c:9:
>>> ../src/luajit2/src/lj_arch.h:321:2: error: #error "No support for
>>> little-endian PowerPC"
>>>  #error "No support for little-endian PowerPC"
>>>   ^
>>>
>>> I propose to remove powerpc as a supported arch
>>
>> Fair proposal.  lang/luajit has a patch to explicitely disable this
>> error message, plus another one for the generated asm.
>>
>> What I don't understand, though, is why luajit thinks that powerpc is
>> little-endian: our powerpc architecture is definitely big-endian.
>>
>> Could you please try to run ''make test'' in lang/luajit on powerpc?
>
> Hi!
> I'm currently trying to build tome4 on macppc. It will take some more time
> on my single core G5 :)
> But... audio/openal uses COMPILER=base-clang ports-clang ports-gcc and have
> no chance to be built on powerpc because llvm is marked broken on that arch.
> It builds with ports-gcc.

Yep, this is not nice.

The problem that kills luajit and tome4 is silly: our sys/_endian.h
header always defines _LITTLE_ENDIAN and _BIG_ENDIAN.  To check
endianness, one should check the value of _BYTE_ORDER.

(BYTE_ORDER if including <endian.h>)

I don't know how upstream ended up with this additional check, but it
probably doesn't receive much attention, given that Linux defines
__LITTLE_ENDIAN, not _LITTLE_ENDIAN.  So who's actually building
little-endian powerpc programs?  I think it makes sense to just patch
out the offending test.  Then we can take a look at COMPILER ordering.
tome4 is probably not the only affected port...

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE