On Wed, Dec 13 2017, Klemens Nanni <k...@posteo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 08:09:38PM +0100, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>>
>> devel/arm-elf/gcc has been marked as broken almost three years ago,
>> devel/arm-elf/newlib depends on it.  I doubt that gdb and binutils alone
>> are useful, especially since the ARM ecosystem moved to a newer ABI.
>>
>> ok to remove?
> Working with microprocessors without a compiler is certainly annoying.
> as and ld are useful though when preparing things for the lab and
> stepping through code with gdb is required all the time so having those
> tools around can definitely be worth it.

I can understand how running gdb from a regular machine makes sense,
given the size of gdb these days.  But binutils when you have no
compiler...

> But in the end it's still an incomplete toolchain which forces you onto
> other platforms one way or another, so I don't object to remove it even
> though I'm using it.

Just to make it crystal clear: you are using arm-elf-binutils-2.20 and
arm-elf-gdb-7.1, not arm-none-eabi-binutils-2.27 and
arm-none-eabi-gdb-7.9.1, right?  I'm not versed enough in ARM stuff to
know whether arm-elf is still relevant these days.

My concern is to avoid stuff rotting for years in the ports tree, not to
prevent people from having useful tools at hand.  Maybe updating to newer
upstream versions would be doable?  (Or maaaaybe adding an arm-elf
FLAVOR to devel/arm-none-eabi?)

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE