I had a conversation with the person who runs chiselapp, re tarballs. Excerpt:
"Is this something I should be concerned about with chiselapp?"
"No -- as you may recall that was one of my complaints about various git places,
and my compliment to Fossil as it does deliver stable tarballs."

Unless there are objections I'm going to be using chiselapp like this:
https://chiselapp.com/user/schelte/repository/dbus/tarball/dbus.tar.gz?uuid=92d71c1d63

Newer Fossils can use 'r=' but I think it's worth the extra 3 chars to use
'uuid=' as it's slightly more descriptive.

Stu