On 2018/03/13 12:37, patrick keshishian wrote:
> Not suggesting my opinion counts on this, but when I first sent in
> this port (years ago), I was told to use CPAN releases only. Then
> somewhat recently (maybe a year or so ago), I was told go with latest
> version even if not on CPAN (i.e. author's releases).
>
> Maybe there should be an official guideline stating OBSD's preferred
> position on this.

I don't find anything on ports@ re exiftool suggesting using the
non-CPAN versions.

As far as ports goes it doesn't necessarily have to be a CPAN version,
but the official guideline is "don't use development releases, betas,
release candidates and so on unless there's a specific reason to do so".

In the case of exiftool, I'm looking at the author's history page at
https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/history.html which seems
pretty clear in recommending 10.80 (and in general terms, versions
which are uploaded to CPAN) as production releases.