Thanks Stuart for identifying the problem with zstd and pointing me in
in the right direction. I added a patch that reverts upstream's commit
from October 26, 2017 that introduces the long-range matching which
uses experimental/private APIs of zstd. Those APIs are not (yet?)
exposed publicly in stable releases of zstd (see github issue #17374
that Stuart pointed out to me).

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 09:29:51AM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> SUBST_CMD in this case. But however it's done, it should use PREFIX
> ("files from this port") not LOCALBASE ("already installed files").

Sure, I changed it to PREFIX.

> It ought to honour CC/CXX from the environment but life's too short and
> the benefit is too little to be worth wrangling the stupid build tool
> for this. :)

Found SCONS flags that can set the proper CC/CXX. Same for CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS,
and LINKFLAGS/LDFLAGS.

> The main thing I don't like about this is the .if after including bsd.port.mk,

The whole spiel with PROPERTIES and use_llvm isn't needed anymore after
setting CC/CXX.

Besides zstd, I disabled all the other built-in dependencies that I could.

Ran the 3D Martinique demo again to confirm it still works.
Updated version attached.