> It doesn't build with ports-gcc

I got it built using ports not too long ago.

What issues did you get trying to build it using gcc-ports (GCC 4.9.4)?

The only issue was the difficulty of install Berkeley DB, which can be
resolved by either building and installing (how?) or something like
--disable-wallet, as only the wallet subfunctionality uses it anyhow,
not the central router.

Do you build the QT and wallet parts?

> and you already said it: "... you wouldn't want to run this on a
> machine that doesn't have clang available to it since it's probably
> far too slow."

Clang may be working well for many projects, this one included, but
there are also projects today where Clang consistently performs
disastrously, so GCC will remain having a valid niche, maybe for very
long.