On Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 03:08:46PM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
> "Gonzalo L. Rodriguez" <gonz...@x61.sh> wrote:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > stsp@ point a gun on me (;) and asked about a port for this backup software.
> >
> > OK? Comments? Test?
> >
> > Cheers.-
>
> Hello,
>
> Port looks fine except this, reported by portcheck(1)
>
> manual pages should go under ${PREFIX}/man/ rather than under
> ${PREFIX}/share/man/
> sysutils/gob
>
> I did try it to dump /usr/src before and after a little cvs update, and the
> results are disappoiting. It started with a 2 GB file, which seems legit
> because the partition is 2 GB, but after a little cvs update, the repository
> increase by 900 MB which is the used size of the partition. This doesn't seem
> effective at all. Maybe it's due to access time being updated during cvs
> update?

Hi,

access times are a very likely culprit. The tool is really dumb
and will only deduplicate based on fixed-size blocks. In case a
lot of small updates are performed across the disk like is the
case for metadata updates, it will just not perform. It does
perform just fine for my systems as I have all partitions mounted
with "noatime", so it will only have to write data that really
did change.

I just did a quick and dirty "check" with my /home partition,
which is a 200GB ext4 partition with around 122GB of data. The
last backup is from 2018-07-30, and a backup today added around
15GB of data to the backups. I'd say this is a reasonable amount
of data for a month of daily usage.

So the tool is kind of niche and will definitely not work for all
usecases, but it does work quite well in certain scenarios.

Regards
Patrick