Just found an menu application that is designed to work with x11/tint2
and x11/menu-cache.  I think an x11/jgmenu port would add flexibility
for those use lightweight WMs.

https://github.com/johanmalm/jgmenu

It is active and has been adapted by BunsenLabs (continuation
of CrunchBang).  Upstream mentions he has built in OpenBSD.

With x11/menu-cache, and x11/openbox pipe menus, it would provide
freedesktop menu integration and do away with manual edits.

I submitted a howto on DaemonForums that results in a lightweight
desktop.  A bare framework of applications is provided in part to
provide placeholders in the menu structure.  Use of jgmenu would allow a
user to start with a largely empty menus and easily customize their
build by adding xdg compliant ports.  It also could provide a "start"
tint2 button to launch a menu, LXDE/MATE/KDE/LXQt style.

--
J. Scott Heppler