On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:18:16PM +0100, Aham Brahmasmi wrote:
> Hello ports,
>
> Apologies for removing the context, I joined the ports list recently and
> do not have stsp's original mail.
>
> I may be wrong here, but I was wondering whether we could change the
> home of the _svnserve user to /var/svn from the current /nonexistent.
>
> In other words, could we change from
> @newuser _svnserve:777:_svnserve:daemon:SVN Daemon:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
> @newuser _svnserve:777:_svnserve:daemon:SVN Daemon:/var/svn:/sbin/nologin
>
> The idea is that post installation, one has to change the owner of the
> /var/svn/reponame directory to _svnserve anyways.

I like your idea. I suppose /var/svn is a sane default path, and there
are already other cases where other parts create directories in /var.

I'll note though that /var/svn won't work with an Apache HTTPD server
chrooted to /var/www -- but chroot requires special steps anyway and
having /var/svn around for just svnserve won't hurt.

Would you be able to submit a diff to the port which implements
this idea?