On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:51:43 -0800
Xiyue Deng <manp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, this attempt failed with an ICE.  The build log is attached.  I
> wonder whether it is because of "out of memory".  I did have a 5G swap
> besides the 1G memory though (with infinity settings in /etc/logins.conf).

My powerpc machine also has 1G of RAM and also got internal compiler
errors from eg++ while building devel/llvm.  Sometimes, I got C++
syntax errors without an internal compiler error.  The errors were
not reproducible, so I built more of llvm by doing `make rebuild`
multiple times, until the errors became too frequent.  Other programs
had problems: fvwm and xterm sometimes crashed; tmux and cc1plus
sometimes got stuck like an infinite loop.

I suspect that I had corrupt RAM.

1G of RAM is not enough to build devel/llvm, so my machine needed to
swap.  Using swap seems to cause the errors.  I don't know if my
hardware (an old PowerBook5,4 running OpenBSD/macppc) can handle the
stress of compiling and swapping at the same time.  I might try to
write a program to test the hardware, and run it in both OpenBSD and
Mac OS X.

--
George Koehler <kern...@gmail.com>