On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 05:43:12AM -0600, Edward Lopez-Acosta wrote:
> Thanks for including these but a possibly dumb question.
>
> Why subpackages for clippy and rustfmt and not part of the standard rust
> installation like upstream?

except if I miss something, upstream provides clippy and rustfmt separately
when using rustup.

when building from Rust tarball, the installer build and create
separated tarball for all components:

- rustc : the compiler
- rust-std : std library
- rust-docs : documentation
- cargo : package manager
- clippy : linter
- rustfmt : code formatter

the port unpacks them and next create openbsd package from that.

FYI, debian provides one package for each components (whereas openbsd
collapse rustc, rust-std and cargo).

> If REVISION is bumped anyways for rust-gdb will
> it still cause issues with other ports or installations?

I am not sure to understand the question.

bumping REVISION means 'pkg_add -u' will see that there is a difference
between the two package versions, and update to the newer.

the change is with the newer package, a user will not be able to run
'rust-gdb' without first installing 'rust-gdb' package. but the package
will take care of having gdb installed first (it wasn't the case before:
you could had a 'rust-gdb' script, but not functional).

Thanks.
--
Sebastien Marie