On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 09:26:36AM +0200, Benjamin Baier wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 22:04:07 -0400
> Charles <char...@cdaniels.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> Hello
>
> > There seems to be an issue with the Scribus port when combined with CWM.
> > Namely, the "properties" window/dialog can only be opened once. After
> > being closed, it cannot be opened again. Restarting the application does
> > not fix the problem.
> >
> > This issue is specific to CWM, I am not able to reproduce under FVWM.
> >
> > I have reproduced this issue under OpenBSD current on AMD64, and on
> > OpenBSD 6.4 on macppc (iBook G4). In both cases, using Scribus 1.4.6
> > installed via pkg_add.
> >
> > I found a previous issue that affected the way CWM and Qt interact, which
> > was
> > posted[1] under the subject line "calmwm mouse stuck inside of window" over
> > on
> > misc@. Okan and I synced up off list and determined it was due to CWM's
> > implementation of EWMH interacting improperly with Qt.
> Seen this one before, too.
>
> > I am reporting this issue separately, as this particular failure seems
> > specific
> > to Scribus, as I've not seen this behavior under any other program.
> VLC also does this. Running VLC in CWM and opening the "Show extended
> settings" dialog
> also has the described behaviour.

I believe that VLC uses qt also... probably a correlation there. Can you
reproduce this issue under other WMs on OpenBSD besides CWM?

> > I believe this could reasonably be an issue with Scribus, Qt, and/or CWM.
> >
> > I have a hunch that this may be related in some way to Scribus issue
> > 9293[2],
> > as deleting the entire '<context name="PropertiesPalette">' section from
> > "~/.scribus/prefs140.xml" allows the properties window to be opened. But
> > closing and re-opening it will fail (presumably since this context has been
> > re-created).
> >
> > It may be worth contacting upstream, but since this issue only happens under
> > CWM, it might be on us, so I wanted to do the due diligence of getting some
> > more opinions before going upstream with it.
> >
> > Steps to reproduce:
> >
> > 1. Install Scribus from ports
> > 2. Log in to X with CWM
> > 3. Open Scribus, create a new document
> > 4. Press "t" to create a new text box, place it on the canvas
> > 5. Enter some text in the box.
> > 6. Do any of the following:
> >     a. Right click on the text box and select "properties"
> >     b. Press F2
> >     c. Select Windows->Properties
> > 7. Interact in some way with the properties dialog, maybe change the font,
> > then
> >    close it.
> > 8. Attempt to repeat step 6. The properties dialog will not appear.
> >
> > I am happy to try out patches, gather further information, or otherwise
> > assist
> > any debugging effort to the best of my abilities.
> >
> > ~ Charles
> >
> > 1 - https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=154524602418343&w=2
> > 2 - https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=9293

Stuart mentioned it may be an issue relating to re-parenting  or lack
thereof interacting adversely with qt (or Scribus). I will test under a
couple of other WMs to see if there is any pattern, and also try to
reproduce under Linux (if other non-reparenting WMs on Linux exhibit the
same problem, then this is an issue for upstream).

~ Charles