On 2019/05/30 14:22, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> On Wed, May 29 2019, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri <andreas.kah...@abc.se> wrote:
> > Since Meson updated from 0.50.0 to 0.50.1, the libexecinfo library, if
> > installed, is not properly detected with Meson's find_library().  The
> > attached patch (modification of an existing patch file that we already
> > have) fixes this for OpenBSD.
> >
> > I have also opened an issue about this on the Meson Github pages.
> > https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/5432
>
> This one got me curious.
>
> The NetBSD folks have added libexecinfo to their base system years ago.
>

> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/%7echeckout%7e/src/lib/libexecinfo/Makefile
>
> This doesn't look like code from our devel/libexecinfo port, rather
> a reimplementation using either __builtin_frame_address or the _Unwind*
> API.

Our libexecinfo port is no longer the "real" libexecinfo, but marco's
libbacktrace renamed under the name where ports are likely to find it.

This is a perpetual nuisance in ports. The functions are in libc in
Linux but have their own header, so it's quite common for a port to pick
up the header and assume that it has the library functions. The library
isn't actually linked to anything so doesn't show up in lib-depends-check,
so it's easily missed until a bulk builder has libexecinfo "junked"
during build.

> To me libexecinfo looks just like another library, except for the fact
> that it uses special compiler/runtime support

yep, agreed.