Hello!

lan...@openbsd.org (Landry Breuil), 2019.11.09 (Sat) 09:35 (CET):
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 09:16:49AM +0100, Charlene Wendling wrote:
> > > http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/sparc64/2019-11-07/sysutils/usmb.log
>
> I wonder if we shouldnt rather remove the port itself. Iirc i tried it
> at some point and failed at accessing an smb share, and even if the code
> uses samba libs, it feels awkward to use a project which had no releases
> in 6 years (and seems dead upstream) for something a bit 'critical'...
> and our fuse isnt that great.
>
> Do people actually rely on this, and it works for them ? I've been using
> gvfs-smb since forever..

I used it more often quite some time ago; tested it now: it works if I
run it as root (kern.usermount removed) and if I do some wild dances
with doas(1) to access the files.

my testing was: copy a file to the share, copy one from the share;
delete on share; copy 800MB from share. I copied over wifi, the speed
seemed to be capped by the connection quality, not the software.

I've tried gvfs-smb as a substitute; it works if I use GIO programs
like pcmanfm or gimp. But no real mounting, right?

Marcus