[...]
> It seems that there is no msbuild executable in it.
>
> Is this expected?

In my opinion it's a big mess that mono deprecated xbuild without supplying a
working msbuild with mono. That's probably because of Microsoft at the helm
trying to aggressively merge mono with .NET core.

I used to have a draft for msbuild that worked in *some* of its uses (but not
for building newer fsharp for example). This was also a big mess because it
needed a big nuget data package > 1G. The package that I manually supplied went
out of date and it looks like upstream change its distfiles (the SHA256 and
size didn't match anymore).

If you want to take a look at the portability mess, here is where the upstream
work happens:

https://github.com/mono/msbuild

And here is a (very crude) draft of mine when it worked, from before the
distfiles got switched:

https://thfr.info/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mystuff/devel/msbuild/

So it probably won't work, but maybe it can serve as a starting point if
someone wants to work on this.

> If so, what is the expected way of managing packages?

There is no working package manager for .NET. You can still build (mostly
older) solutions that don't require MSBuild, and run assemblies that don't
require dotnet runtime.

> On a related note, the nuget-5.0.2.5988 port looks for msbuild but finds
> nothing:
>
> $ nuget restore
> MSBuild auto-detection: using msbuild version '' from '/usr/local/bin'.
> Error parsing solution file at /home/agis/work/csharp/sandbox/hello.sln:
> Invalid Image

The uses for nuget are very limited at this point. This is from when porting
msbuild looked more doable 9 months ago.

--

tfrohw...@fastmail.com

PGP Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE1A22D58D20C6D22